Did you catch my Babble article 10 Bold But Wearable Red and Orange Lipcolors? Even if you have no other makeup on, adding a bright red or orange lipstick will make your feel instantly pulled together. I always keep at least one stashed in my purse for emergencies. (Laugh if you must, but I can’t be the only Mom who’s looked in the rear view mirror and thought, “Holy crap! I can’t even go into Trader Joes looking like this.”)
So, while you can apply a bold lipstick in a clutch situation, it’s best to take a bit more time. If you have a couple minutes, these steps will ensure an even application and help your lipcolor last longer. As an added bonus, you can laugh at all the funny faces I made during the making of this tutorial.
Get the tutorial after the jump.
How to Apply a Bold Lipcolor
1. When using a bold lipcolor, you’ll want to start with a nice, smooth canvas. You can buy a lip exfoliator to use or mix up a little sugar with olive oil.
2. Apply your lip scrub with your finger and rub your lips together for minute.
3. Bright colors draw attention to dry, chapped lips so follow your scrub with lip balm. I’m fond of the Simply brand.
4. Blot to remove excess lip balm.
5. Next, apply a lip liner. You can use a shade that matches your lipstick, but I’m using Revlon Colorstay Lipliner in Clear. This will keep your lipstick from migrating off your lips and onto your face.
6. Apply your lipstick. I’m using Smashbox Be Legendary in Mandarin.
8. Repeat steps 6 & 7 for longer wear.
Now go kiss your kid and leave a big, cute lip print on his or her cheek. Ha ha ha!by