Tuesday, September 24, 2013
This easy updo combines two of my hairstyling favorites: braids and messy buns. I’ve teased the crown for a little height and then French braided one side leading to loose side bun. This style is easy to modify and make your own. You can braid both sides if you prefer or substituted the classic 3 strand braid for a fishtail, rope braid, or twist.
The step-by-step tutorial is after the jump.
Bun With a Braid
1. Start with your hair dirty, if possible. Clean hair is slippery and hard to work with! If your hair is freshly washed, add a texturizing product.
2. Section off the top from the crown to your forehead or bangs and start teasing. I’m using a teasing brush but you can use a rattail comb if you prefer.
3. Tease the entire top of your head. You will look a little crazy. This is good.
4. Gently smooth back the top layer over the teasing.
5. Lost your motivation to keep going? That’s ok; throw in a pretty headband and enjoy a cute retro style.
6. Create a section at the side of your head that you want to braid. Clip the rest of your hair out of your way and start French braiding the section.
7. Continue the french braid, working down along your hairline until you get to the opposite nape and then braid to the ends and tie off with a small band.
8. Gently pull the braid so that it is a fuller, wider, and messier.
9. Gather the rest of your hair and wrap it into a bun around the braid and pin.
10. Wrap the braid around the bun and pin.
11. Use your handy mirror to see how it’s looking. Use pins to revise the shape and tuck in in any loose hairs that may have escaped.
12. If necessary, use the end of your teasing brush or rattail comb to gently lift the teasing and finish with hairspray.
Pretty easy, huh? If you give this tutorial a try, I would love to know. Please send a picture to sonya (at) parlordiary.com.