I recently came across this photo on Pinterest of a really cute, casual braided chignon by Kayley Heeringa and got inspired to create my own version. For this tutorial, you will need to know how to create a basic fishtail braid. If you aren’t sure, you can check my tutorial here and skip ahead to the end, as you won’t need to weave in hair for this look.
Get the how-to after the jump.
Braided Chignon Tutorial
1. Start by dividing your hair horizontally from ear to ear. You’ll want to roughly have the same amount of hair in each section.
2. Gather the bottom section into a low ponytail and secure with a small elastic band. Gather the top section and secure with a small elastic band just to help hold it in place.
3. Fishtail braid the top section. Don’t overthink this; these braids are easier than people think. If you can’t get the hang of it, just do a regular 3-strand braid. Secure the end with a small elastic band.
4. Carefully cut the top elastic and remove it.
5. Flip your braid through the top like a topsy tail. Use bobby pins to bring the braid together at the top and hold in place.
6. Divide the bottom section into two, gather on top of the braid and re-tie the low ponytail. The end of the braid should be in this ponytail.
7. Pull the braid so that it is wider and looser. You want it messy.
8. Divide the ponytail into two sections. If you want you can tease these two sections for more body. Wrap each section around the band and secure with bobby pins. Be sure to cross your pins for added strength.
9. Check with your mirror, tuck in any loose ends and pin.by