The nautical craze in fashion is super fun. I’m loving all the stripes, boat neck collars, and nautical motifs. So, I got to thinking, “What would be a good hairstyle to compliment this trend?” Ropes and sailor’s knots came to mind and inspired this post.
Rope braids are really pretty and are super easy to create. In just a few minutes, you can transform a boring ponytail into a pretty twisted style reminiscent of heavy rope. Once you know how to create the braid, they can be worn as is or twisted into a bun for a quick and easy updo. For a nautical knot-inspired updo, visit this tutorial on Babble.
The step-by-step instructions on how to create a rope braid and a video to make it crystal clear are after the jump.
Simple Rope Braid
1. Start by gathering your hair into a ponytail at your nape and secure it with a small hair band. I've used a yellow band so you can see it better but you may wish to use a clear band or one that matches your haircolor.
2. Run some pomade through your ponytail to make it easier to work with. I used Alterna Bamboo Shape Moldable Texture Paste.
3. Divide the ponytail into two equal sections.
4. Twist each section. It is important to twist your sections in the SAME direction. I'm twisting to the right.
5. Cross the right twist over the left. If you twisted your sections to the left, you will need to cross the left over the right.
6. Repeat but twisting again to the right and crossing the section that is now on the right over the one that is now on the left.
7. Continue twisting to the right, and crossing the strand on the right over the left.
8. When you reach the end, tie off with a hair band.
As a fun way to decorate the rope braid, you can wrap some string around the base and at the end to hide your bands.
Or twist the braid into a bun and secure with bobby pins.
Visit Babble to learn how to create this nautical knot updo.by