When I learned about Kevin Murphy’s new shimmer products I was dying to try them. Gold and bronze accents are a great way to brighten up your hairstyle and these warm metallics are perfect for summer when you want to add a bit of sultry sparkle. The sun picks up on the tiny flecks of glitter, enhancing the shimmer and shine.
Get the details and full review for Shimmer.Shine and Shimmer.Bug along with instructions for use after the jump.
Shimmer.Shine is a treatment spray enhanced with light-reflective technology. Twirl the bottle to disperse the golden glitter and then spray on dry hair for weightless shine. The formula contains essential oils, bioflavonoids, and vitamins to repair damage, antioxidant Immortelle to combat free radicals, and baobab seed oil for moisture. The actual metallic particles are extremely subtle so don’t expect a dramatic change in color. This product works best to provide light shine and luminosity. Be aware that Shimmer.Shine has a strong, earthy scent that doesn't dissipate quickly. I like it but you may want to smell this product before purchasing.
I’m a huge fan of adding temporary colors like chalks and those that come with mascara-type wands. Kevin.Murphy Color.Bugs are temporary hair shadows that you apply by rubbing the product onto a strand of hair. Shimmer.Bug is a metallic gold shade that is very subtle and natural looking. Unfortunately my highlights are almost the same color and tone as the golden product, so it’s hard to see in my lightened hair.
How to apply Shimmer.Bug:
1. Start by draping a towel over your shoulders to protect your clothing and put on some disposable gloves to protect your hands. Do not skip this step as this product is quite messy.
2. Apply hairspray or a thicker wax or pomade to the strands you'd like to color.
3. Rub the color into the pre-treated strand.
See why you put those gloves on?
It's pretty hard to see on top of my already warm highlights...
After watching the video for the product, I discovered that this product is designed to add highlights to darker hair. DUH.
For the sake of testing, I applied Shimmer.Bug to a section of my hair that has not been lightened. As you can see, this temporary color looks very much like real highlights, allowing women with darker hair to experiment with a few golden strands without commitment. How cool!
Things to keep in mind:
- The color of Shimmer.Bug is a cool gold that looks closer to a bronze to my eyes.
- Shimmer.Bug is pretty messy to apply. Protect your hands and clothing and expect a little fallout.
- Shimmer.Shine has a earthy scent and Shimmer.Bug is odorless.
- Again, Shimmer.Bug works best on dark hair.
Shimmer.Shine and Shimmer.Bug are available now and retail for $27.50 and $25, respectively. Kevin.Murphy products are paraben- and sulfate-free and contain beneficial essential oils. Visit kevinmurphy.au to find an authorized salon.
I did not receive payment for this review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.