Sometimes the simplest hairstyles are the prettiest. This chignon is just a simple ponytail that hasn't been pulled all the way through. Cross the top with two 3-strand braids for a versatile updo that's both sophisticated and casual. I've created mine a bit messy to fit my personal aesthetic but this 'do would look lovely clean and sleek as well. All you need are a few minutes and some basic hairstyling tools so grab some product, a clip, 3 small hair ties, and some bobby pins and let's get started!
The step-by-step tutorial is after the jump.
Braid Topped Chignon
1. Apply pomade, styling wax, or other texturizing product to your hair then create a parting across the back from ear to ear and clip away the top.
2. Divide the bottom panel into 3 sections.
3. Braid the outer two sections into basic 3-strand braids and tie with small hair bands
4. Pull each braid wider and messier, if desired.
5. Release the top and combine it with the bottom center section. Use a small hair band to tie into a low ponytail but don't pull the ends all the way through. Tuck the ends under to hide them.
5. Fold the braids over the top of the ponytail to hide the hair band. Wrap the ends around under the chignon to hide them.
6. Pin the braids in place.