Water decals, also called water slide decals, are an easy way to enjoy fun nail art designs. Unlike other kinds of nail stickers, water decals are extremely thin and are very easy to remove with ordinary nail polish remover. They can be used to cover the entire nail or to add small sticker-like embellishments.
Born Pretty Store has a large variety of water decals at very reasonable prices. Since Spring is in the air and Easter is this weekend, I opted for this pretty floral graphic pattern for the demo below. The set comes with 5 sheets of cool designs, a file, and orangewood stick. If you want a custom design, you can actually purchase water slide decal paper and print your own nail art patterns using an ink jet printer.
How to Apply Water Decals
For this tutorial, you will need:
Base coat or nail polish (optional, any color you like)
Set of water decals (I used these)
Orangewood stick or cuticle pusher (metal or silicone)
Top coat (I used Essie No Chips Ahead Top Coat)
1. Add a base coat to all nails and/or nail polish, if desired.
2. Cut out your nail decals using a pair of scissors.
3. Find one that is the approximate size of each of your nails. Remove the plastic film from the decal and plop it into a small bowl of water. After a few seconds, you’ll notice the decal will slide right off the paper backing.
4. Slide the decal on to your nail and smooth it down with your orangewood stick or cuticle pusher. It will slide around a bit so you have some time to get the right placement.
5. Apply all the decals on one hand – fingers first, then the thumb. Wait patiently for the decals to dry.
6. Remove excess on the sides with your orangewood stick or cuticle pusher.
7. Remove excess at the tips by GENTLY filing downward.
8. Apply top coat to all nails. You’ll notice that the top coat kind of turns the decal into polish and will smooth away any small wrinkles. Wait for this to dry.
9. Repeat on your other hand.