I've been growing out my lob but it's still a bit too short to wear a side braid without a bunch of layers poking out all over the place. So I created a pretty plait on the far side to weave in the lengths that aren't quite long enough. I've fashioned a fishtail braid for this post but you can substitute any braid or twist that you like. If you don't know how to fishtail braid and would like to learn, I've included illustrated instructions at the end of the post.
This style is really pretty but super simple to create. It consists of just 2 simple braids with no french braiding or need to incorporate hair as you work. It's a casual look that's perfect for 2nd or third day hair. So, let's get started!
Fishtail + Side Braid Hairstyle Tutorial
For this look, you will need:
Styling product (Especially important for clean hair! Anything to add a bit of texture will do. I used L'anza Healing Style Sculpt Dry Clay)
2 small hair elastic bands (I like to use braiding bands like these)
1. Create a section in the front on one side by parting vertically from the top of your head to just behind your ear and then split it horizontally into 2 equal sections.
2. Fishtail braid this section all the way down to the ends and tie off with a small hair band. If you don't know how to fishtail braid, check out the handy illustrations below.
4. Divide the remainder of your hair into 3 equal sections and add the fishtail braid to the center strand.
5. Braid the 3 sections off to one side and tie the ends with a hair band.
6. Add a pin or two on the underside of the fishtail braid to ensure it says in place.
How to Fishtail Braid
1. Divide the hair you'd like to braid into two equal sections. Take a small subsection from the underside of one of the sections.
2. Fold the subsection over the top and add it to the other side.
3. Now take a small subsection from underside of the opposite section.
4. Again, fold this subsection over the top and join it with the other side.
5. Repeat this, again taking a small subsection from the underside of the first section and crossing it over to combine it with the second section.
6. Continue in this manner, alternating sides.